Friday 23 July 2010

Things: Phizog Volume and Hitched Betwixt

Ah, a few moments fun with the thesaurus...

Well now to business:

I have had a Facebook account for a about four years now and the fact that I can't be bothered to login to check exactly how long I've had it speaks volumes. I am a detail person and I ought to want to know that date. Facebook for me has simply become a tool to contact loose acquaintances and to advertise charitable events in which I am in some way involved. The more involved networking aspects of it have become less and less engaging as time goes on. I find it rather a 'false' experience in many ways; a whole lot of blowing of horns and mutual back slapping.

I am sorry to say I can't fully understand the need for a library presence on Facebook. Looking at the examples given all of the access information posted there is merely a duplicate of what appears on the institutional website and most of the updates a duplication of RSS news and events feed. Why replicate these things in an environment that requires a Login? The only difference is that the Facebook pages are 'chattier' than the website and I am not sure that is actually an advantage.

If I sound sceptical about Facebook I am going to sound downright scornful of Linkedin. I wouldn't dream of posting the kind of information it collates in public. Its an identity thieve's playground. I am sure the benefits of discussion groups can be hosted in a much more secure environment elsewhere.

Rant over... Friday night... time to go home... grr!

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I'm somewhat sceptical of Facebook being used in libraries, but those who have gone ahead with it have done so because they feel students may be more likely to pick up information there than to keep checking their library website for updates. I guess it comes down to using as many routes as possible to maximise our presence.
    As for Linkedin, I should point out that the amount of information included in a profile is at the discretion of the user, and to participate in any of the discussions one has to join the relevant group. But if you don't feel it is for you at least you know what it looks like now!

    ReplyDelete