Friday 16 July 2010

Thing: Virtual Bookshelves

Well I like Library Thing.

I liked the speed with which you could build up a collection because of the imported data. I liked the look and feel of the site. It feels uncluttered but that in no way compromises the complexity of the data it can hold. I like the idea of following a link to librarys flagged as containing the same books as mine because I hope a person with similar tastes might have listed something which I would be interested in too.

I can't really answer the question about whether my library could use Library thing as I am an archivist just along for the ride! I can see how it might be of use to small libraries and in fact the subject of archival cataloguing software for small archives is a regular subject on the archival listservs. One of the recently developed open source systems is: http://ica-atom.org/
but there is nothing out there with the broad appeal of LibraryThing. I guess the main differences are:


  • the number of people that have extensive personal collections of books is much higher than extensive personal archives

  • that the ability to draw in data from elsewhere (e.g. Amazon) can't really apply to archives which are unique… it would take much longer to build data up and I myself was pleased by the immediate nature of LibraryThing

  • and, following on from my last, people like to know what they have in common with each other - a sense of belonging, a pack mentality?!


... interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment