Saturday 28 August 2010

Thing 19: Marketing

Well I admit I had never really considered the difference between marketing and advertising but that's why I am doing Cam23 - to pull my brain into the new century!

The examples of what social media marketing is ''going on out there in Libraryland''
given by Andy in his Thing 19 introductory blog entry are extremely varied. It is the variety that really strikes me about these opportunities. For instance I had never heard of Goodreads. I am slightly concerned that we information management professionals are simple caught up in a process of chasing each band wagon that comes along. We feel obliged to have a Twitter account. We get criticised if we don't have Facebook page. I am worried about proliferation and 'faddines'. My initial thoughts are that should stop chasing teh wagon and focus our efforts on our webpages which are the most established form of electronic marketing but perhaps with forums so that we can engage in the 'Conversations' which I do appreciate are useful. Hmm.

All that said I am the joint author of a project blog begun at the same time as Cam23 was launched. I promise faithfully to think more carefully about 'product, price, place and promotion' with reference to this product as a result of this thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment