Tuesday 1 June 2010

Metaphore for cataloguing?

So here is my first post for the Cambridge 23 Things continuing professional development course.

I'm planning on taking this blog on a slightly of piste route - from 'In the Dark', over 'the Fen of Knowledge' to 'In the Know'. It will be an interesting journey I am sure.

I often choose a longer commute for the sheer pleasure of walking across Coe Fen. My reasons are many but one is that seeing the minute daily progression of nature through the seasons somehow helps me to reflect on how the minute act of cataloguing a single item in a collection can add to appreciation of the whole.

Often there is something out of place or new in the fen. Walking through it and noticing these things helps provides an opportunity to broaden my recognition and consequent appreciation of species of plants, birds, trees etc. Similarly, like any CPD opportunity, I expect that engaging in the 23 Things will broaden and enliven my working experience.

My previous experience of Web 2.0 and social media has largely been confined to use of a social networking site and awareness of reporting of sensationalist stories about Web 2.0 in traditional media. I am sure it will be educational to observe some of these things first hand to form a more rational opinion of them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to Coe Fen being a logical part of my commute when my son starts school in September. At the moment it is a lovely scenic route, esp. in summer.

    ReplyDelete