Friday 18 June 2010

Things: the jury's out on Twitter

After only a few days with a Twitter account I don't feel in a position to form a sound judgement of it. Its been fascinating to follow the Cam23 blogs this week re Twitter; this has to have been the most divisive week yet. Jenni very succinctly describes it a marmite reaction in her latest blog entry.

If I have to flutter down off my fence I think I'll be with the 'Not to Tweet' camp. I was a strong convert to start pages (iGoogle has proved really worthwhile) and RSS feeds at the beginning of this project. I can easily appreciate their worth. Somehow feel that Twitter is merely being used by most institutions to replicate what they produce in blogs and feeds and the replication is superfluous. I understand its all about reaching a wider audience but 140 characters just doesn't do it for more. Has anyone actually come across any research that quantifies the direct benifits of Twitter to Libraries?

All this said I'll stick with it for another week or two and who knows I may be singing from the roof tops yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment